Okay, here is one area where you will have to do your homework. How and whom you choose to “manufacture” your book is a personal decision. It’s like buying a car. There are many features to select, you want to know about the services you’ll receive and, of course, how much is everything going to cost. All these factors come into play when an independent author is ready to self-publish.
Below is a list of just a few of the better known companies. They are listed in alphabetical order, with no preference implied. You will need to explore each to see which one best serves your needs, your level of self-publishing skill and the amount of money you are willing to part with. Here are some variables to consider:
- What rights will you hold? Will the company hold any? Basically, you want to hold all rights to your book from cover to “the end.” If there is a contract, read it carefully and know what you can and cannot do with your book.
- What services will you need and does the company provide them. Are they free or are there fees to pay? There are usually services for just about everything: book design, cover design, formatting, art work, proofing, editing, etc.
- Does the company provide an ISBN number for your book. This is a universal identification code you will want and it is required by several services you may eventually use. Is there a fee for the number?
- If you designed your own book, what kind of file does it have to be in when it comes time to upload it to the company for printing.
- Who, How, is price set? How much do you get?
That’s enough to get started. Go explore and while you do, be ready to download a lot of FREE documents loaded with advice and tips on self-publishing. Bookbaby usually has some good ones you can print out.
Here are some companies to check out:
Bookbaby.com - Kindle Direct Publishing (kdp.amazom.com) This company, owned by amazon.com, recently took over the publishing arm of its sister company called CreateSpace - Lulu.com - Outskirtspress.com/selfpublishing - Smashword.com - Tredition.com (a German company located in Hamburg) - Xlibris.com